Information regarding secondary transition
Please find below relevant information regarding secondary transition. If you have any questions please speak to your child's teacher.
June-we will hold a PIP session to explain what will happen during the secondary transfer.
July/August-the summer holiday is a great time to research on the internet and locally for more information about the secondary schools in your area-this will help you to make a decision.
September- Several schools have open mornings. Take the opportunity to visit schools with your child.
October-you will apply for a place in your preferred secondary schools. The school will help you with this.
March/April-you will receive confirmation of your child's place in secondary school.
April to June-you will be invited in to your child's secondary school to meet with a member of staff. You will find out what the school expects of your child. You should expect this appointment to last about 15 minutes and your child may be invited to the meeting. You will be asked to bring your child's documents e.g. a birth certificate.
July-there will be a secondary transfer day when all children in Tower Hamlets will be invited to go and visit their new secondary school. They will have a chance to meet their tutor, look around the school and even try out a few lessons. They will also have the opportunity to meet some of their new peers.
Top tips for choosing a secondary school
- Start the conversation with your child early. Talk to them about the upcoming change, what kind of school they would be interested in and what type of school would best suite them.
- Make a list of your child's needs e.g. gifted and talented.
- Look up your preferred schools on the internet.
- Check the admissions policies for each school you are interested in-does your child meet the criteria?
- Check dates for open days/evening so you can decide when to visit.
- Visit as many schools as possible.
- Check to see if the schools requires a supplementary form to be filled in.
- Check to see if there is a sixth form.
- Check to see if there is an entrance exam (most independent and Islamic schools require this).