Harry Gosling is a healthy school which means we help our children to grow healthily, safely and responsibly and to become active, respectful citizens who care for the environment.
The subjects covered by Healthy Schools are PE (Physical Education) and PSHE (Personal, Social, Health and Economic education).
In our PE lessons we aim to teach our children skills that can be transferred across not only different games but also other areas of learning. We encourage competition, good sportsmanship and fair play in our lessons, intra school and inter school tournaments and at our annual sports day.
Over the year we cover:
- OAA (Outdoor and Adventurous Activities) – team building and cooperation games that involve an element of risk taking.
- Dance – moving and responding to music.
- Gymnastics – balance and tumbling.
- Net and wall games – volleyball, tennis, badminton.
- Striking and fielding games – cricket, rounders.
- Invasion Games – football, netball, basketball, TAG rugby
- Athletics – track (running) and field (throwing & jumping) events.
- Swimming – Year 4&5
PSHE helps to prepare our children for the challenges and opportunities of adult life. It helps children to connect and apply the knowledge and understanding they learn in all subjects to practical, real-life situations.
Topics covered in PSHE are:
- Me and keeping safe.
- Me and my relationships.
- Me and medicines and drugs.
- Me and growing and changing.
- Me and making a positive contribution.
- Me and my feelings.